Saturday, July 21, 2007
Tubular Exchanger Manufacturers Association (TEMA) has developed a series of fouling factor for Shell and Tube (S&T). These fouling factor are generally higher than Plate Heat Exchanger (PHE), why not use S&T fouling factors to size PHE ?
Isn't this approach conservative and guarantee the performance ?
- Oversized Plate Heat Exchanger (PHE) required extra CAPEX and extra Space for oversized PHE
Tubulence minimise fouling tendencies in correctly sized PHE. Oversized PHE results low actual velocity and increase potential fouling and inefficient heat transfer
HTRI studies showed PHE fouling significant lower than Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger (S&T)...factor of 6.7
GUIDELINE : Do not oversized PHE more than 25% against required area.
Further reading :
- Do Not Overspecified Fouling Factor s for PHE
- Why Lower Fouling in Plate Heat Exchanger ?
- Heat Exchanger Fouling Mechanism, Prevention and Treatment
- PHE - Remove some plates, will pressure drop increase ?
Any comments / advices ?..........Drop it in comment field (below) or sent a private email to me...